Going Green

Thursday, October 25, 2007

New Pecan Variety

I love trees. I've always had an affinity for Pecan trees -- I think I inherited it from my father.

New High-Yielding Pecan is Right for Many Regions

By Alfredo Flores
October 24, 2007

A new pecan called "Lakota" is now available to nurserymen, thanks to scientists in the Agricultural Research Service's (ARS) Crop Germplasm Research Unit at College Station, Texas, and a collaborator at Kansas State University (KSU). Lakota is notable for its high yield potential, the early maturity and quality of its nuts, and excellent tree strength.

At the helm of this research effort were geneticist Tommy Thompson and horticulturalist L.J. Grauke, who conduct the ARS national pecan breeding program. Working with them was William Reid, a horticulturist at KSU at Chetopa.

Lakota kernels are cream to golden in color, and...(complete article here).

I would like to try a few of these. I think I will try and find a nursery and order a few.

No comments: