Going Green

Friday, July 25, 2008

CRP Decision and Consequences

My business is dependent on cattle production. The industry needed the release of CRP for grazing due to the extremely high feed costs caused by corn-based ethanol production. My experience tells me though, that this decision may not be the best for wildlife in some areas. I would have preferred for the authorization to allow that haying and grazing be limited to no more than 80% of each tract of CRP. The remaining 20% would preferably have been in strips or possibly on the most sensitive portions of a tract for wildlife. This would allow a reservoir of untouched grass for wildlife cover. I fear that many tracts will be overgrazed.

U.S. judge allows haying and grazing on CRP land

By Christopher Doering

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. farmers and ranchers who have already been approved can participate in a government program allowing haying and grazing on Conservation Reserve land, a federal judge in Seattle said on Thursday.

In the decision, U.S. District Judge John Coughenour also ruled the...(complete article here).

No comments: