Going Green

Friday, August 31, 2007

Your Food Dollar

How much are you spending on food and beverages (includes alcoholic beverages)? According to the USDA, in 1929 consumers spent 23.4% of their disposable income on food purchases. That was 20.3% on food consumed at home and 3.1% on food consumed elsewhere. In 2006 consumers spent 9.9% of their disposable income on food. Of that, 5.8% on food consumed at home and 4.2% on food consumed elsewhere. Disposable income in 1929 was $83.4 billion. In 2006 it was $9,534.8 billion.

In 1929 consumers spent 87% of their food budget on items consumed at home. In 2006 that number was 59%. We are making more money and spending a smaller percentage of it on food even though we eat out much more frequently.

The farmer's share of the consumer food dollar dropped from 41% in 1950 to 20% in 2004 according to the Economic Research Service. It certainly speaks to the efficiency of America's farmers.

1 comment:

Sandy Kessler said...

my share is pretty high. I lost the use of my throat through cancer./ I can only consume liquids and pureed vegetables - daily and usually 4 times weekly I juioce an array of the freshest veggies I can find and fruits. I have some reallywonderful concoctions. People have a tendency to feel sorry for me - I say don't I gre up on a farm and the tastesof peppers tomatoes onions celery melded together - or berries and oranges are like Heaven to me !!!