Going Green

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Mountain Lions in Texas

This is an interesting article about mountain lions from Texas Parks & Wildlife magazine.

In Search of America's Lion

People are seeing more mountain lions than ever in Texas. Has their population increased or are they just running out of room?

By Wendee Holtcamp

Golden sunlight dances through the agave and sagebrush of this desert ecosystem as I catch my first glimpse. Big Bend National Park preserves...(complete article here).

I have seen one mountain lion in my life and it was at a distance. I saw it while visiting a wilderness area on the western slope of the Rockies in Colorado. There have been numerous sightings of lions in the area in which I live. There are a handful of reports of lions attacking livestock on a few ranches but they are rare. There is certainly habitat in the area that could harbor lions. It is remote and large enough that lion-man encounters are very unlikely.

No comments: